Sunday, July 16, 2017

First Nephi Chapter 4

I've always struggled with some of the theological implications of this Chapter, as with some of the Chapters in the Bible, in which the Lord commands violence for His divine purposes. I don't know that I will fully resolve those struggles in this lifetime, though I take note that people die every day and if the Lord wants to delay that death, or hasten it, these things are out of our hands in any event. Whenever I might die, I will be responsible for the life I have lived up until that point. 

On this reading, I focused on another issue, the sequence of events which, per Nephi's reasoning, could cause a nation to dwindle and perish in unbelief (1 Nephi 4:13-27).  That sequence apparently involves: 

- A nation being deprived of its scriptures.
- A nation therefore losing its knowledge of the law and commandments of God;
- That nation then being unable to follow the commandments of God. 

We know that the Savior's atonement is infinite and extends to the benefit of all men, so that the individual members of a nation which has so fallen may still be saved.  Why then the concern in the interim?  The rational answer to this question, in my mind, is that having the Gospel in our lives is a blessing to us in THIS lifetime.  We are living part of our own eternity right now.  Today.  The atonement can improve and bless our lives, not just in the eternities and in the hereafter.  But right now, today.  If we let it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment